||P.E. 4.03 - Fitness: Aerobics
West Valley College
Office: PE 1W
Aerobics is a cardiovascular conditioning activity that uses
high and low impact movements to music. All fitness levels are able to
participate. No prerequisites are required.
Upon successful completion of course requirements students will:
- Demonstrate improved performance relating to
- Demonstrate safe and correct technique.
- Demonstrate knowledge of fitness principles and dedication for life long fitness.
- Understand the physiological and psychological benefits
of regular exercise.
A. Motor Component:
- Rhythmic warm-up techniques.
- Cardiovascular workout using high and low impact movements.
- Proper and safe cool down.
- Muscular strength and endurance activities.
- Flexibility and relaxation techniques.
B. Cognitive Component:
- Nutrition for fitness and sport.
- Five components of fitness.
- Principles for cardiovascular fitness.
- Principles for muscular strength and endurance.
- Strategies for exercise adherence.
- Active class participation is essential to fulfill the course objectives.
- Arrive to class early so you can perform the warm-up portion of the class.
- Athletic shoes and clothes are needed for a safe and effective workout.
- Bring a water bottle to class for proper hydration.
- Do not wear perfume or cologne in class.
- Pre and post fitness assessments will be completed during the third and last week of the semester. There will not be a workout during finals week.