||P.E. 11.08 and 11.09 - Pilates Mat Workout
West Valley College
Office: PE 1W
This course focuses on developing core abdominal and back strength. Exercises are designed to improve strength, endurance, posture, body alignment and flexibility. Benefits include balance, body awareness, relaxation, injury prevention, stress reduction and increased self-confidence. Pilates mat work emphasizes core musculature as it applies to everyday
Upon successful completion of course requirements students will:
- Demonstrate improved abdominal and back strength.
- Demonstrate safe and correct technique.
- Improved posture and injury prevention.
- Understand the physiological and psychological benefits of regular exercise.
- Breathing technique
- Warm-up principles
- Pilates essential, intermediate and advanced matwork exercises
- Active class participation is essential to fulfill the course objectives.
- Arrive to class early so you can perform the warm-up portion of the class.
- Comfortable exercise clothes are needed for a safe and effective workout.
- Bring a water bottle to class for proper hydration.
- Do not wear perfume or cologne in class.
- Required Textbook: Pilates Body in Motion
by Alycea Ungaro