||P.E. 4.22 - Step Fitness
West Valley College
Office: PE 1W
Step training is a low impact aerobic conditioning activity designed to enhance
cardiovascular endurance and muscular endurance. Rhythmic movement patterns are
performed using the Reebok Step. The step platform can be adjusted for safety
and effectiveness. Muscle conditioning and flexibility exercises will also be
included. All fitness levels can participate.
Upon successful completion of course requirements students will:
- Demonstrate improved performance in the five components of fitness.
- Demonstrate safe and correct technique for bench stepping and muscular strength and endurance activities.
- Demonstrate knowledge of fitness principles.
- Understand the physiological and psychological benefits of regular exercise.
A. Motor Component:
- Rhythmic warm-up techniques.
- Cardiovascular workout using the Reebok Step.
- Proper and safe cool down.
- Muscular strength and endurance activities.
- Flexibility and relaxation techniques.
B. Cognitive Component:
- Step Reebok terminology.
- Five components of fitness.
- Principles for cardiovascular fitness.
- Principles for muscular strength and endurance.
- Active class participation is essential to fulfill the course objectives.
- Arrive to class early so you can perform the warm-up portion of the class.
- Athletic shoes and clothes are needed for a safe and effective workout.
- Bring a water bottle to class for proper hydration.
- Do not wear perfume or cologne in class.
- Fitness assessments will be completed during the third week of the semester.