Start by taking the Distance Learning Survey below:
All students are not suited for a distance education course. Everyone has different learning styles; therefore it Is Important for you to assess your own learning style before enrolling in a distance education course. The following survey can help you determine whether a distance education course is for you.
Please choose one answer for each question and then calculate your score by following the instructions below.
1. I usually complete homework and other assignments
- a. on time
- b. at the last minute
- c. past the deadline
2. I am considering taking a distance learning class
- a. because the flexibility fits into my schedule
- b. to add another course to a full load
- c. because I can never seem to make it to my campus classes
3. When I have to work individually
- a. I almost always complete the task successfully
- b. I finish the task, but I feel a bit uncomfortable without the instructor's presence
- c. I rarely finish the task
4. If I am having difficulty with an assignment
5. Written instructions are
- a. easy for me to follow
- b. easy to follow, but I would prefer to have the instructor explain them to me
- c. confusing and frustrate me
6. 1 consider myself to be
- a. a good reader
- b. an adequate reader
- c. a slow reader
7. When I turn in work
- a. I can move on to the next assignment while waiting for feedback
- b. I need feedback within a few days
- c. I need immediate feedback
8. Face to face meetings with my instructor and my classmates
- a. are not important to me
- b. are helpful but not essential
- c. are very important to me
9. When asked to utilize new skills and technologies as a learner
- a. I embrace the challenge and enjoy trying new things
- b. I am hesitant to take risks, but I am persistent and determined
- c. I am very uncomfortable and tend to avoid new strategies
10. As a learner, I would classify myself as being
- a. highly independent
- b. somewhat independent
- c. dependent
Please score our answers as follows:
If you scored from 20-30 points, you are probably suited for a distance education class. You are an independent learner who doesn't need constant supervision, and you have the self-discipline to complete tasks on time.
If you scored from 10-20 points, you probably need to think very carefully about signing up for a distance learning class. If you decide to take a distance education course, please realize that you will probably have to adjust your learning strategies to maximize your potential for success.
If you scored from 1-10 points, you are probably better suited for a traditional class at this time.
Your level of success in any course is determined by a multitude of factors. This analysis is meant to give you an indication of your aptitude for distance education courses and is in no way a guarantee for success or failure in any course or program.