Geology 001B West Valley College
Historical Geology R. Lopez
Fossils, Fossilization, Stratigraphy, Transgression, Regression
- What is a fossil and what is fossilization?
- What is permineralization? Give an example.
- What is carbonization?
- What is the difference between a mold and a cast?
- What are impressions?
- What are some examples of trace fossils?
- What are body fossils and coprolites?
- What are altered remains and unaltered remains? Give examples of each.
- What are fossil successions and who established this principle?
- Does evolution act randomly? Is extinction permanent or temporary?
- What is a lithostratigraphic unit and what is a biostratigraphic unit?
- What are biozones and formations?
- What are key beds and how are they used for stratigraphic correlation?
- What are range zones and Key or index fossils and how are they used for stratigraphic correlation?
- What are the three criteria for an index fossil?
- What are sedimentary facies?
- What are marine transgressions and regressions?
- Know about limestone facies, sandstone facies, and shale facies. What is the depositional environment of each?