Ocean 10 West Valley College
Oceanography R. Lopez
Study Questions: Rocky Intertidal Zone
1. What are the two types of intertidal habitats?
2. Where does the intertidal region occur?
3. Why does the rocky intertidal region have a higher species diversity than the sediment-covered shores intertidal region? (hint: three reasons)
4. The rocky intertidal region is dominated by seaweeds (algae) and epifauna. What are epifauna?
5. What are infauna and where are they most likely to live?
6. Contrast the lifestyles of sessile vs. mobile animals.
7. Name some sessile and mobile animals.
8. What are some favorable abiotic conditions in the intertidal region?
9. What are some unfavorable abiotic conditions in the intertidal region?
10. How are the three zones of the intertidal region characterized?
11. Contrast all three intertidal zones (specifically the amount of time the zone is exposed to air).
12. What are the characteristics of the upper zone? Name some organisms found in this zone.
13. What are the characteristics of the middle zone? Name some organisms found in this zone.
14. What are the characteristics of the lower zone? Name some organisms found in this zone.
15. What are keystone predators.
16. Describe the keystone predators in both the intertidal zone and the subtidal zone.
17. What are headlands, sea stacks, and sea cliffs.
18. How are sea arches formed?
19. What is wave refraction?
20. How does wave refraction help form sea arches and move sand along the longshore current?
21. What is the longshore current and the longshore drift?
22. What is the definition of a beach?
23. How does a beach scarp develop?