Oceanography 10 West Valley College
1) Make sure you complete the Waves packet. I will include questions from the wave and tide packet on the final exam.
2) Define the term wave?
3) What are the two main types of waves?
4) Standing waves and seiches are one in the same. Describe a standing wave in an enclosed basin as described in lecture for the San Francisco Bay.
5) What are nodes and antinodes in a standing wave?
6) Do waves actually transport water? If not, what is transported?
7) What is a disturbing force for the different wave types?
8) How are seismic sea waves (tsunami – p. 187)?
9) What waves have the longest wavelength?
10) Sketch a deep water ocean wave below. Include crest, trough, still water line, wave base, wavelength, wave height, and amplitude.
11) What is wave steepness (show the formula)? What is the limit of wave steepness before the wave breaks?
12) What is wave period and wave frequency?
13) What is circular orbital motion?
14) Where do ocean waves begin?
15) What is the sea area?
16) How are capillary and gravity wind waves different?
17) What is the restoring force?
18) What three factors influence the growth of a wind wave?
19) What is a fully developed sea?
20) What is a swell?
21) Which are faster? Waves with short or long wavelength?
22) What is the surf zone and what is shoaling?
23) Define constructive, destructive and mixed wave interference patterns? What is a rouge wave?