James E. Smith
Technical Advisor – Public Safety
· Academy Coordinator, Los Angeles County Sheriff Recruit Academy – College of the Canyons P.O.S.T. Basic Law Enforcement Course.
· Past State President – California Association of Administration of Justice Educators.
· Representative – Chancellors Statewide Public Safety Education Advisory Committee.
· Search and Seizure subject matter test consultant to the California Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.).
· Private Contract Security Consultant – Six Flags Amusement Parks.
· Director – College of the Canyon’s Private Security Academy.
Coordinator – State Humane Officer Basic
· Administration of Justice Department Chair – West Valley College (Saratoga, CA).
· P.O.S.T. Program Coordinator – West Valley College.
· Faculty Advisor – Administration of Justice Fraternity.
· Chairman – Administration of Justice Advisory Board.
Academic Coordinator – West Valley/Mission
District Police Campus Service Officer Program.
Law Enforcement Experience
· Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department (retired) – twenty-three years of law enforcement service in field operations, custody, investigative and administrative assignments.
· Administrative duties included management of a custody division training unit responsible for providing and tracking the training needs of over 400 deputy sheriff and civilian personnel.
· Custody duties included operations and scheduling supervisor for a major Los Angeles County custody facility housing over 1400 maximum security inmates.
· Investigative duties included the creation, implementation and supervision of a custody division gang enforcement unit.
· Field operations duties included assignments at Malibu Station, Firestone Station (South Central Los Angeles), West Hollywood Station, Lost Hills Station and Santa Clarita Station.
Specialized duties included Academy Awards
Ceremony security, Air Security of the 1984 Summer Olympics, Dignitary
protection of President Nixon and Secretary of State Henry Kissinger, and law
enforcement responsibility for Universal Studios, Hollywood.
· AA, Administration of Justice, Moorpark College, 1974
· BS, Public Administration, Pepperdine University 1976
Public Communications, Pepperdine University 1980
· Vietnam Era Veteran U.S. Army 1966 - 1969
· California Air National Guard 1980 - 1988