Welcome to Online Instruction at West Valley College:
This distance learning course is conducted completely via the Internet and e-mail. You are expected to communicate with your instructor and other classmates about specific assignments. Most of your work, however, is done on your own through reading assignments and accompanying lecture materials.
In order to successfully complete this course, you should plan your schedule very carefully and try to stick to it. A campus course that meets two times a week will take an average of four to six hours of student preparation per week. Since you are not meeting as a traditional class, you can expect to spend an average of six to seven hours per week on your online course work. Look carefully at your work schedule, school schedule, and family obligations and allow plenty of time for each.
When taking a online course you must take the initiative to ask your instructor questions if you do not understand the material. You may have to communicate with your instructor with an e-mail message or for emergencies you may have to call the instructor and leave a message on an answering machine. Either way, the response from the instructor might not be instantaneous. You must learn to move on to other material and wait for your instructor to respond.
This course will use the ANGEL course management system. Instructions on how to log in are included on this web page below.
To successfully navigate this course you should be computer competent in the following:
E-Mail including sending and receiving attachments.
What Do I Do First?
Click here to view the online course syllabus
To determine if distance learning courses are right for you, click here.
Take the distance learning skills survey by clicking here.
To learn how to succeed in an online course, click here.
Beginning the Course
1. This course uses an online course management system called ANGEL. It requires that you have a log in name and password. If you just registered, it may take a few days for the college to set up and process your information on our database before your log in name is active. Click on the link below to learn how to determine your log in name and password:
Click here to learn how to log in to ANGEL
2. On the first day of the semester, go to the ANGEL log in page and get started:
Click here to access the ANGEL login page (remember you need to use the Firefox browser if you are using a Macintosh or either Firefox or Explorer on a Windows PC)
3. You will not be able to access the course before the official start date as listed in the schedule of classes.
4. If you are not already enrolled in this course, scroll down to the "Enrolling in this Course" area of this web page and follow the directions given for registration and enrollment.
Logging in to ANGEL
You will need a log in name and password to access ANGEL.
Your login user name consists of following:
- All seven digits of your student ID number.
- Your student ID number is generated by the computer at the college and is included with all of the paperwork you receive from the college.
- This number is not your social security number
If you can't find any paperwork with your student ID number on it or you never received any paperwork in the first place, please contact:
The college Admissions and Records office at 408-741-2001
Your password is your six digit birthdate.
If you can't log in, or need help with ANGEL, contact the college's Instructional Technologist for assistance:
Enrolling in this Course
1. If you are not a continuing West Valley College Student, you must first apply for admission to the college and register for the course. You may access the college admissions web site by clicking the following link:
To apply for admission, click here
2. After you are registered as a West Valley College Student:
Find the correct section number for this course in the printed schedule of classes or in the online schedule found at the college web site under the "Quick Links" menu on the home page.
Use the college's WebAdvisor system to enroll in the course
3. If you feel you may need some additional student services, feel free to access the college's Student Services Online Resources web page. Here you will find links to a variety of college resources like counseling services, financial aide, the library, career programs etc.
Click here for help finding your required textbook.
To access the West Valley College bookstore web site in order to purchase your book, click here
Click on the West Valley College web page below to access other college resources: