Quiz Due Sept 5th
Exam 2 Course Average : 74%
Average Overall Course Average: 74%
Covers Lecs: 5 - 12 (NOT including Lec 7) : Photosynthesis, Cell Respiration, Protein Synthesis, Cell Division, Inheritance
|Homework #2: Due Oct. 24th
Biology 10 : Lecture Homework #2
1. Find a youtube
covering concept of Photosynthesis.
organisms. What are the ingredients of photosynthesis? What is the goal
what is the goal of the dark reactions
2. Find a
covering concept of Cellular Respiration.
What are the ingredients of cellular respiration? What is the goal of
c. What are the primary differences between Aerobic cellular respiration and
Anaerobic cellular respiration: Which is more effective, Where does
each occur, Which process uses the mitochondria, Which produces toxic
d. Which organic molecule can only be used anaerobically? Sugars, Fats,
4. Find a youtube
covering basics of the translation.
5. Find a youtube
covering basics of the mitosis and meiosis.
stages of each.
6. Find a youtube
covering concept of Basics of inheritance: (Mendelian
possible gene combination that could happen is both parents are
heterozygous for the gene you choose.
Average Exam grade: 76%
Overall course grade 75%
Quiz: Many students have not turned in their syllabus
quizzes. If you are one of these students be sure you turn
them in BEFORE the exam on Wednesday.
I: Sept 26th (Wednesday)
Covers lectures 1 - 4 : Exam will have multiple choice questions, Fill in answers and short paragraph answers
Homework due the day of the exam. Please bring a scanton (half sheet 1 - 100 questions) and a pencil
Biology 10 : Lecture Homework #1 (Questions 1 - 6) Due the day of the exam (Wednesday - Sept 26th)
For each youtube clip please provide the URL with your homework
a youtube or other video clip covering the characteristics
that are used to define life.
B. Explain why the virus is not considered to be alive (just yet).
2. Find a youtube or other video clip covering atomic structure. After watching the clip : draw the Bohr diagram for nitrogen.
3. Find a youtube or other video clip covering the structure and properties of water. After watching the clip :
A. draw a water molecules: indicate it’s slight positive and negative charges
B. explain why water is described as a polar molecule
C. draw a diagram sowing how water would dissolve and separate salt (NaCl) into Na+ ions and Cl- ions.
A. Define diffusion
B. Define osmosis
C. Give an example of each occurring.
6. Find a youtube or other video clip on cell structure: After viewing the clip : draw a general cell with the main organelles. Label the organelles.
Lecture: 3 units , Laboratory: 1 unit .
Lecture 3 hours; Laboratory 3 hours
Recommended preparation: Math 902, Library 4 (Information Competency)
Acceptable for credit: University of California, California State University
Note : Bio10 is NOT open to
students who have completed Bio11 (Human Biology) with a C or
better. Bio 10 and Bio11 meet the same educational
requirements. Students will receive only unit but not
grade credit if they have already taken Bio11.
Aug. 27th: Be sure to show up the
first day of Bio10 Lecture (Monday Aug. 27th) AND LAB (day
depends on section). Anyone that
misses the first day of class will be automatically dropped
to allow other students an opportunity to
Things to do to get a head start :
1. Ready over Syllabus : You can down load a printable version of the Syllabus (pdf.).
2. Read over the Lab Safety Information at the beginning of lab manual.
3. Take the Syllabus Quiz : Down
load the quiz (Syllabus
Quiz (pdf)and answer the questions on a
(882) after reading the syllabus. The syllabus quiz
scantron is due Wednesday Sept. 5th
at the beginning of class.
Lecture Class: If you would like to ADD
show up the first day of class and I will add
your name to my wait list but you will only be officially added
when you show me your lab add code and I give you a lecture add
code to add on line.
Make getting into a lab a priority.I will only ADD students that are registered in a lab section (or have previously taken and successfully passed lab. There is plenty of space in lecture (this is not a problem), it is the lab which may have a constraint on enrollment.
To add a lab you can :
Books: Several options are available to
Required Texts :
1. Viking Bookstore : West Valley Campus Bookstore: You can Purchase all of the books listed in the syllabus directly from the bookstore located on West Valley campus. The bookstore also provides an online service (http://westvalley.bkstore.com/) so that you can reserve books & pick them up later or make arrangements for home delivery. Unfortunately the laboratory manual can only be ordered from the campus bookstore. It should be available one week before classes start.
2. Online Ordering : For
ordering all materials except the laboratory manual.
Since the prices of texts books is definitely a concern you
may want to look into purchasing textbooks from a less
expensive internet vendor. The only concern is how long
it will take to deliver the text. If you choose to order
from an internet site and your text does not arrive when
classes start you can keep up with the required reading by
using the text on reserve in the library.
3. WVC Library (Reserve Desk) : The Library's reserve desk will have one copy of the current text book which can be checked out for 2 hour blocks of time. Do not wait until the last minute to do your reading since others may also be relying on the reserve text for their reading. The library is open M - Th 8:00am - 7:30pm , F 8:00 - 12 noon, Sat noon - 4:00 (408) 741-2029
PLEASE PURCHASE LAB MANUAL FOR THE SECOND LAB (Lab one will be provided to you in the first weeks lab)
Accommodations for a Disability: West Valley College strives to make all learning experiences as accessible as possible. If you anticipate or experience academic barriers based on your disability (including permanent disabilities or chronic or temporary medical conditions), please let me know immediately so that we can privately discuss options. You are also welcome to register with the Disability and Educational Support Program to establish reasonable accommodations. After registration, DESP will notify me of your approved accommodations.
DESP contact information: The DESP office is located in the LS building; their phone number is (408) 741-2010 (voice) or (408) 741-2658 (TTY). Information about their services can be found at www.westvalley.edu/desp/
HELP : Tutoring available through the WVC tutorial services: Chick here for drop in tutoring schedules
Animation : Spoof on Star Wars
Store Wars with Cuke Skywalker, Obi Wan Cannoli, Chewbroccoli and Lord Tator
|1/19/17||Really amazing Video on RNAi : here is the link|
|Journals Sites :||Good Reference Web Sites :|
|Great Sites for Study Tips :||Applicable Information :|
|Page created by:
Updated: Jan. 20, 2018